Taking its name from the Township of Digby, which had been named in honour of Rear Admiral Robert Digby who dispatched HMS Atlanta to convey loyalists from New York City in the spring of 1783 to Conway, which became known as Digby, Digby County was established in 1837. Previously, from August 17, 1759, when Nova Scotia was first divided into counties, this area had been part of Annapolis County.
24 years later, in 1861, Digby County was divided into two districts: the District of Digby and the District of Clare. In addition to these 2 districts, the county contains the town of Digby and part of the Bear River Indian reserve. Also, there is Digby Neck leading into the Bay of Fundy to Long Island and Brier Island.
|Communities in Digby County|
Established August 17, 1759 by Order in Council, Annapolis County took its name from the town of Annapolis Royal which had been named in honour of Queen Anne of Great Britain. It was near the previous site of Port Royal, the chief Acadian settlement in the area. The Acadians had been forcibly removed by British government officials in the 1755 Grand Dérangement.
By 1833 a number of reasons had been advanced for making two counties out of Annapolis County. Two petitions were presented to the House of Assembly in that year requesting that the county be divided. However, it was not until 1837 that Annapolis County was divided into two distinct and separate counties - Annapolis and Digby.
|Communities in Annapolis County|
Kings and West Hants
Kings County is located in central Nova Scotia on the shore of the Bay of Fundy with its northeastern part also forming the western shore of the Minas Basin.
The part of the county residing in the Annapolis Valley comprises the agricultural heartland of the province and boasts over 600 farms; the area is famous for its fruit crops, primarily apples. As with most coastal parts of the Maritimes, Kings County's shoreline was home to a productive shipbuilding industry during the 1800s.
Wolfville houses the highly ranked Acadia University. Cape Blomidon and the North Mountain preside over the Annapolis Valley, whereas the South Mountain and interior forests to the southern part of the county support a variety of lakes and recreational cottaging areas.
|Communities in Kings West Hants|