Church Point

Church Point or Pointe-de-l'Église is a village located on Saint Mary's Bay in the District of Clare in Digby County. It is home to Université Sainte-Anne, one of only 2 French-language universities in Atlantic Canada. It has become a focal point of Acadian culture in Nova Scotia.

Also located nearby is the tallest wooden church in North America, Église Sainte-Marie, which is located just north of the University.

Church Point, Louisiana, in the heart of Cajun country, was named after the town by Acadians who were forced out of Acadia during the Great Expulsion. Today the area in Nova Scotia is populated largely by the descendants of Acadians who returned after the Great Expulsion.

 

  church point small

Related Links
Université Sainte-Anne

 


Other communities in Digby County

Belliveau's Cove

Belliveau's Cove (French: Anse-des-Belliveau) is a Acadian community in the District of Clare in Digby County .

The area was a major centre of wooden shipbuilding in the 19th and early 20th century, Belliveaus Cove built the second largest wooden ship ever made in Canada, the ship County of Yarmouth in 1884. The famous Saint Bernards Catholic Church is also located nearby.

 

 

  belliveau small

Visitor Information Centre
3239 Highway # 1
(902) 837-7100

What's Nearby
Belliveau Cove Eco-Tours
Belliveau Cove Lighthouse

 


 

Other communities in Digby County

Brier Island

Brier Island is the western-most part of Nova Scotia and the southern end of the North Mountain ridge with Long Island lying immediately northeast; both islands constitute part of the Digby Neck. Brier Island measures approximately 7.5 km (4.7 mi) long and 2.5 km (1.6 mi) wide and is made up of basalt.


The island's shoreline measures approximately 25 km (16 mi) in length. Brier Island is separated from Long Island by the 0.5 km (0.31 mi) Grand Passage. The ferry leaves Freeport at the top of the hour, and costs $5.00. The ride across Grand Passage to Westport, Brier Island takes 10 minutes.

The local economy is driven by the year-round commercial fishing industry and the seasonal tourism industry, which is largely focused on whale watching tours. The island has one general store(that includes gas pump and cafe), one hotel and several hostels, bed and breakfasts, and gift shops. The island contains the fishing village of Westport which is connected to Freeport on Long Island by a ferry operated by the provincial government.

Brier Island is frequently inundated by fog and has witnessed 57 recorded shipwrecks. The island has "a lighthouse per mile" with the Northern and Western lighthouses on the island, as well as the Peter Island lighthouse in Grand Passage; all are automated and are operated by the Canadian Coast Guard. The wreck of the barque "Aurora" in 1908 provided the lumber for the Westport Community Hall.

The Canadian Coast Guard operates CCG Station Westport in the village. The rescue cutter CCGC Westport provides 24-hour per day, 7 days per week response to search and rescue incidents within the eastern Gulf of Maine and the southern and eastern Bay of Fundy.

 

 

 

Related Links
BrierIsland.org
Brier Island on Facebook
Adopt A Whale Program

What's Nearby
Bay of Fundy Inn
Brier Island Whale and Seabird Cruises
Brier Island Lodge

 


 

Other communities in Digby County

Weymouth

Weymouth was settled in the 1760s by New England Planters after the Acadian Expulsion. The town was formally founded by Loyalists in 1783 (the year that the Treaty of Paris was signed ending the American Revolution). Originally, the area was named Sissiboo, still the name of the river that runs through the village. There are conflicting stories on the origins of this name. One story purports "Sissiboo" to be a Mi'maq word, and the other derived from the combination of the French words “six” and “hiboux” ("Six Owls"). Current day Weymouth was once called Weymouth Bridge, and Weymouth North was called Weymouth. Weymouth is supposed to have been named in honour of the previous settlement of the Strickland family from Weymouth, Massachusetts.

Shipping and shipbuilding were the main industry in the mid 1800s. Remnants of docks can be seen on the Northeast side of the Sissiboo today. Goods such as lumber were loaded on ships at these docks and shipped all over the world. Weymouth houses the oldest general store in Eastern Canada still in operation. Opened in 1837, the store is now called The Trading Post. The village also houses one of the original Merchants Bank of Halifax (later renamed Royal Bank of Canada) in Canada. This building is now part of the aforementioned Weymouth Trading Post.

At the Interpretive Center, one can learn about the Stehelin family who came from France in 1892 and built a community with electric lights and a wooden railroad approximately 10 to 15 miles inland from Weymouth. This community known as New France, also known as the Electric City, had electricity 30 years before the Village of Weymouth and most of rural Nova Scotia. There is nothing left today except for the foundations of the city buildings. The J.D. Irving Ltd. Company has worked at the New France site making walking trails and fixing the foundations so they are safe for visitors to explore.

The Stehelin family first established their house in Weymouth where the Goodwin Hotel is now located and no changes have been done to this building. One could across the street from the Goodwin Hotel and visit the oldest general store in Nova Scotia, now called the Trading Post. In 1881 this was the location of one of the earliest branches of the Royal Bank of Canada then known as the Merchants Bank of Halifax. The old vault used by the bank still remains in the Trading Post to this day.

 

 

Related Links
Official Web Site

 


 

Other communities in Digby County

Freeport

Freeport is located at the end of Digby Neck on Long Island. It is a working fishing village nestled around tidal basin. This area is great for bird watching, beach combing, hiking trails, birds, whale watching, gift shops, accommodations, restaurants, and unique flora and fauna.

Loyalists founded Freeport in 1784 establishing fishing and trading industries. Prior to this it had been inhabited by the Mi’kmaq Indians.

Place names such as Petit Passage, Grand Passage and the Saint Mary’s Bay can be attributed to the French explorer, Champlain, who first visited the area in 1604.

 

 


Other communities in Digby County

More Articles...

 

 Acadia University Annapolis Valley Chamber of Commerce

Version 2.5 Copyright © 2014 All Rights Reserved • Privacy Statement and Terms of Use

Contact: info@valleytourism.ca

The predicted Tide Times are for the Bay of Fundy. Add one hour for the Minas Basin. Subtract 30 min for the Annapolis Basin.
This information is for reference only and should not be used for navigation. They are not certified, and they do not incorporate the effects of tropical storms,
El Niño, seismic events, continental drift, or changes in global sea levels.

website security