Hantsport

The area around Hantsport was known to the Mi'kmaq as Kakagwek meaning "place where meat is sliced and dried" and the town is still home to a small reserve known as the Glooscap First Nation or Pesikitk.

The town was settled by Loyalists after the American Revolution (about 1786). English settlers first named the locale "Halfway River" after the river beside the town which marked the halfway point between Grand Pre and Windsor.

Shipbuilding emerged as a major industry in the 19th century and the town produced a large number of wooden sailing vessels and some steam vessel before the decline of wooden shipbuilding in the late 1800s.

The arrival of the Windsor and Annapolis Railway in 1869 stimulated a number of local manufacturers. Gypsum exports emerged as a major employer in the 20th Century, followed by the mills of the Minas Basin Pulp and Power Company established by the Jodrey family.

William Hall, an African-Canadian mariner born near Hantsport, won the Victoria Cross in 1857 and is buried at a monument at the Hantsport Baptist Church.

Artifacts from the town's history are preserved at Churchill House, Hantsport, the restored mansion of the Churchill shipbuilding family which serves as a community centre and museum.

 

  hantsport small

Related Links
Official Web Site

Visitor Information Centre
3 Willow Street
(902) 684-9302

What's Nearby
Church House Museum
R&G's Family Restaurant

 


 

Other communities in Kings West Hants

 

 Acadia University Annapolis Valley Chamber of Commerce

Version 2.5 Copyright © 2014 All Rights Reserved • Privacy Statement and Terms of Use

Contact: info@valleytourism.ca

The predicted Tide Times are for the Bay of Fundy. Add one hour for the Minas Basin. Subtract 30 min for the Annapolis Basin.
This information is for reference only and should not be used for navigation. They are not certified, and they do not incorporate the effects of tropical storms,
El Niño, seismic events, continental drift, or changes in global sea levels.

website security