Canning

The area was originally settled by Acadians who were expelled in 1755 during the Acadian Expulsion. After the Acadians, Canning - first called Apple Tree Landing and later Habitant Corner - was settled in 1760 by New England Planters and by the Dutch following World War II. The present name was adopted in honour of British prime minister George Canning.

Though much diminished in importance in recent years, Canning was once a major shipbuilding centre and shipping and rail hub for farmers in Kings County.

Canning merchants and farmers founded the Cornwallis Valley Railway which ran from 1889 to 1961, connecting the village to the Dominion Atlantic Railway mainline in Kentville, Nova Scotia. The village suffered three major fires in its history.

The Canadian parliamentarian Sir Frederick William Borden had a home in Canning. A cousin of Sir Robert Borden, Sir Frederick was Minister of Militia prior to the First World War. Canning has a prominent statue of Harold Lothrop Borden, a son of Sir Frederick, who was killed in the Boer War and is buried in South Africa.

A lighthouse that once served the port fell into disuse and abandonment but was restored in the 1990s.

 

  canning small

What's Nearby
Blomidon Provicial Park
The Look-Off

 


Other communities in Kings West Hants

 

 Acadia University Annapolis Valley Chamber of Commerce

Version 2.5 Copyright © 2014 All Rights Reserved • Privacy Statement and Terms of Use

Contact: info@valleytourism.ca

The predicted Tide Times are for the Bay of Fundy. Add one hour for the Minas Basin. Subtract 30 min for the Annapolis Basin.
This information is for reference only and should not be used for navigation. They are not certified, and they do not incorporate the effects of tropical storms,
El Niño, seismic events, continental drift, or changes in global sea levels.

website security